Friday, July 2, 2010

Writing Update and a justification (?) for procrastination

I can't say enough how thankful I am for my security guard job and the time I get to write while being paid. However, the last two days of the week I was moved to a post with internet access. I've felt a little internet deprived lately, so I kind of indulged.

I had fun though. I met a few new Christian authors and read some great posts. I think I have a theme for my new website and am very up to date on the LeBron situation...(oh my poor Cleveland, I just don't know how it will turn out!)

And there is my excuse for writing only a thousand words in 11.5 hours of work, (where I actually worked for about a half hour total...jealous? ;)) Well, if you're a writer reading this (does anyone read this? If I had farmville on here I know at least my mom would, lol) you're likely jealous of my free time at work to write, but not of the word count I produced.

So here's why I only produced 1k words in 11 hours, which is less than a 100 words an hour. Wow, now that I put it that way, I'm really ashamed...enough to do something about it? I don't know, does this count? Anyway, here's my reasoning: first, I spent most of that time reading blog posts, a very interesting story called  Subterranea by Mike Duran, and doing research on my upcoming website; second, I did brainstorm for my short story and my novel; third, I am a big Cleveland sports fan, so this LeBron stuff is making me nervous; and fourthly, I was in a new environment that combined the temptation of internet surfing.

The first three are ok, maybe I should have spent less time rechecking espn (I'm such a nerd), but the fourth reason, involving the temptation of internet combined with a strange environment really perplexed me.

Does anyone else have trouble writing in strange or new places? What about different times? Which do you think is easier to adjust to, a new place or a new time?

Another question is, if anyone writes full time, or even on days off that you dedicate to writing, how do you manage your time?

I feel like I'm a lazy, slow worker, and it is a bit scary to think of wasting such an opportunity to get paid to write with 11 hour, 1k word production days. Does anyone else feel this way, or if you did how did you improve?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good evening my son, so thrilled to see your website. Hey look you mentioned me too! Yes I finished my farming and still had time to see what you were up to..you are always on my mind. Just so proud of you and wish you the best in this your new and exciting author beginnings:)

Tim Ward said...

Thanks Mom. How fitting that you would comment on this post. :)

Actually, this is my old site, my new one is at www.timothycward.com, though I've been having trouble with my server of late.